Saturday, June 24, 2006

Someone wake me up and tell me it was all a bad dream...

Tomorrow, June 25th, is the 2 year anniversary of my mom's brain injury. In some ways it seems like just yesterday when we were in a state of shock, driving back and forth to University hospital to sit by her bedside daily uncertain of the future. In other ways it seems like such a long time ago that she would come bounding in the front door with a smile on her face, up for anything and so long ago that we would talk on the phone into the wee hours of the night. If only I knew that that Friday morning was going to be the last time I could I have meaningful conversation with my mom, I would have said alot more. I am glad that we left with the parting words...Love you! Oh how I miss her, well for that matter we ALL miss her. Some days you think you've come to accept this but then other days you go to bed sobbing, wishing she could share in the important things in your/others lives. I have to continually remind myself that God had given me a wonderful and godly mother (and example) for 33 years of my life, more than alot of kids have had and all those years were filled with love, laughter and learning; all for which I am truly grateful. But then there is also the human side that is envious when I see a mother with her grown daughter and kids, and the grandmother is doting on the kids...something my kids will never have again from my mom. Many days I wake up (even after 2 years) and think, did that really happen or was I dreaming. Unfortunately, the only dreams I do wake up from are the ones where she has recovered completely and out shopping with us or on a trip to Myrtle Beach once again. As a Christian, I do believe that God has given me/us the strength to cope with this tragedy, it's not easy of course as we face it everyday, but we also are comforted in the fact that He listens to our prayers, catches all our tears and holds us in the palm of His hand and of course that someday our dear mother will be made whole once again in heaven. Even though I/we cannot understand why this happened to Mom and may never know we have to believe that God makes no mistakes and stand on the promise that all things work together for good to those who love God. Help us Lord in the coming days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lori; The piece about your mom brought tears to my eyes as it was two years ago June 25th that I lost my best friend(your mom).I do miss her so much as I could always go and talk to her about anything.She was like a mentor to me.John & I are always thinking of her and we will continue to visit with her.We really miss her being around to visit with.